Skip to content
Previous article
Now Reading:
The Science Behind Fat Loss: Where Does the Fat Go?
Next article

The Science Behind Fat Loss: Where Does the Fat Go?

When it comes to losing fat, we often wonder where it goes. Some may say it gets converted to energy or heat, while others suggest it's broken down and excreted. But according to recent research conducted in Australia, fat loss primarily occurs through exhaling.

The excess calories we consume are stored in the body as triglyceride molecules, consisting of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. When these triglycerides are broken down, also known as oxidised, carbon dioxide and water are produced as waste products. We exhale the carbon dioxide while the water can be excreted through urine, sweat, tears, or other bodily fluids.

In fact, the study conducted by Australian researchers found that 84% of the fat lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs, while the remaining 16% becomes water. To burn 10 kilograms of fat, we would need to inhale 29 kilograms of oxygen, and the process to burn that fat will produce 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 grams of water.

Weight loss then becomes a game of losing carbon, and an hour of jogging can reduce an additional 40 grams of carbon from the body. The laws of fat loss remain the same, governed by a calorie deficit. To lose weight, we must burn more carbon than we consume.

It's important to note that we don't "burn" fat to get rid of it forever. Rather, we shrink the size of our fat cells when we "lose" weight. Research shows that we burn fat from within the fat cell, and when we "regain" the weight, the fat cell fills up again.

While some people perform cardio with the idea that it will inherently burn more fat, studies show that whether you achieve a calorie deficit from dieting, exercise, or a combination of both, your final fat loss result will be the same. A calorie deficit from diet alone is enough to lose body fat as efficiently as possible. Of course, cardio contributes to a calorie deficit, but it doesn't necessarily yield any additional fat loss results.

In conclusion, the lungs are the primary excretory organ for weight loss. Fat doesn't get turned into energy or heat, nor is it broken down and excreted. Excess calories are stored as triglyceride molecules consisting of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, and the process of breaking down these molecules results in carbon dioxide and water. To achieve fat loss, we must create a calorie deficit and burn more carbon than we consume.

Cart Close

Your cart is currently empty.

Start Shopping
Select options Close